12/05/2022

How did you decide to get married?

 I was in the Army at Ft. Eustis Virginia. I would go to Richmond, Virginia on week ends and holidays. We would go to the USO and other things. My wife and her close friend went to the USO also. I took my wife's friend, my future wife, and some other girls to my wife's friend, Gaynelle's home, from the USO. Gaynelle told my future wife that she wasn't interested in me. After that, my future wife Mary, started sitting next to me in the car. Mary called me at Ft. Eustis and told me that her boss told her to call me and get straightened out, because I was affecting Mary's behavior. The call was announced at my whole company's group, standing in formation at our company. Mary's mother helped Mary to get permission to get married.

June 27, 1953 we were married at Resurrection Lutheran church in Richmond, Virginia. Mary's sister and her husband stood with us at our wedding. There were flowers at the ceremony, because another wedding was scheduled shortly after our wedding.

Sixty nine years after the wedding: My wife waits on me hand and foot. She puts drops in my eyes. If I had not married a teen ager, I might not have someone to help me now.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are encouraged.